Click to
Win!

August 23, 2012

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY Associated Press

 

Michael Jackson's father has dropped a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the former doctor who was convicted of causing the singer's death.

Court records show Joe Jackson's request for a dismissal was granted on Monday August 20. The filings do not elaborate on a reason for dropping pursuit of the case, but two attorneys handling the case were recently ruled ineligible to practice law in California.

The Jackson family patriarch initially filed the lawsuit against Conrad Murray in June 2010, on the anniversary of his son's death. A federal judge refused to hear it and it had to be re-filed in state court in Los Angeles.

"It's good finally that this case is dismissed and gone," Murray's attorney Charles Peckham said. "It's pretty clear that Joe Jackson intelligently and smartly dismissed this case so he, his wife and children can focus on Michael Jackson's life instead of the circumstances of his death."

He said Murray, who remains jailed and is appealing his involuntary manslaughter conviction, remains pained by Jackson's death and feels sorry for his family. "His heart goes out to them," Peckham said.

Jackson's mother, Katherine, continues to pursue a case against concert company AEG Live alleging it negligently hired and supervised Murray, who was giving Jackson nightly doses of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. Murray's treatments were conducted while Jackson was preparing for a series of comeback concerts.

Her case is scheduled for trial in April.

Joe Jackson's case claimed Murray repeatedly lied to paramedics and doctors about giving Jackson propofol and that he did not keep adequate medical records — all issues that prosecutors raised against Murray during his trial last year.

He had been seeking damages for a variety of issues, including loss of income and support, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.

 

Category: Arts & Culture