Click to
Win!

Fox replaces Pam Oliver with Erin Andrews

July 17, 2014

 

LAWT Wire Services 

 

Hints of racism began to circulate when word spread that 20-year veteran Pam Oliver will be replaced her spot to Erin Andrews, whom the network hired away... Read more...

District Attorney says training is key to diversion programs

July 17, 2014

 

City News Service

 

Training law enforcement officers, prosecutors, judges and other members of the criminal justice system to recognize mental illness is critical to breaking... Read more...

Phi Beta Sigma announces 2014 Centennial Week activities July 16-20

July 17, 2014

 

LAWT NEWS SERVICE

 

WASHINGTON—Jonathan A. Mason, International President of Phi Beta Sigma, one of the country’s largest African American men’s organizations,... Read more...

‘Extant’ premiere, CBS top television ratings

July 17, 2014

 

By STEVEN HERBERT

City News Service

 

The CBS drama “Extant,” starring Halle Berry, drew the largest audience for a series premiere this summer and was last week’s... Read more...

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas approves reward for Compton killer

July 17, 2014

 

City News Service 

The Board of Supervisors approved a $10,000 reward in hopes of tracking down the killer of a 23-year-old man gunned down last year in Compton in broad daylight.

 

David... Read more...

May 23, 2013

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — There were no bidders and no locksmiths willing to force entry for a scheduled auction Tuesday to sell artworks and other belongings of Nelson Mandela’s ex-wife.

The bid to force Winnie Madikizela-Mandela to pay an old debt for school fees for her grand-niece failed.

Court sheriff John Maluleke and two other officials joined reporters gathered outside her gated home but were denied entry despite repeated ringing of the bell and banging on the metal gate.

Lawyer Stephen Karnavos of Alan Levy Attorneys, who listed the auction, said the former first lady owes nearly R46,000 ($5,000), which includes the unpaid fees as well as interest, legal costs and sheriff’s fees. A check for the equivalent of $1,700 was paid to the law firm Monday but is yet to clear, Karnavos said in a statement. Madikizela-Mandela earns R900,000 (more than $95,000) a year as a member of South Africa’s Parliament.

An assistant who answered the telephone at her office said Madikizela-Mandela would not be commenting on the auction or any money problems.

While reporters camped outside the main gate of her home, a black car sped out of the compound, exiting through a second gate. That car later returned with two unidentified women who did not comment to the press. Madikizela-Mandela was not in the car and it was not known if she was at her house in Soweto, near the Johannesburg home that she shared with Mandela when he first was released from prison in 1994.

No bidders showed up for the auction, which listed some paintings and sculptures, furniture and a 24-piece silver tea set.

Madikizela-Mandela is adored by many for her leading role in the anti-apartheid struggle and abhorred by others for various run-ins with the law, including allegedly ordering the kidnapping deaths of several young men in the 1980s when she was aggressively militant. In 1991, a court found her guilty in the kidnapping and assault of one youth who died of his injuries, and sentenced her to six years’ jail. She appealed both the conviction and sentence, was found guilty of being an accessory in the assault and got the sentence reduced to a fine and a suspended prison term.

Karnavos confirmed the auction was called off. The auction was cancelled because officials could not find a locksmith willing to force entry into Madikizela-Mandela’s home, a sheriff's official told The Associated Press.

Mandela and Madikizela-Mandela married in 1958 but were separated by his 27-year imprisonment by the racist white minority government. They were reunited when he was freed in 1994 but the marriage did not survive and they divorced in 1997, while he was South Africa’s first black president.

Madikizela-Mandela remains prominent, sometimes feared, in her community. She is known to travel with bodyguards, who have been accused of several assaults and murders in the past.

Repeated calls to the sheriff’s office to determine if a new auction date will be scheduled went unanswered.

Parent Category: ROOT
Category: News

May 23, 2013

(AP) — A man was charged Monday with a $565,000 bank robbery in which his girlfriend — an assistant bank manager — was forced to strap on a fake bomb so she would seem to be a hostage and could take the money.

The woman said she was abducted in September from her home and forced to put on what she believed was a real bomb. Her abductors told her if she didn't help steal the money the bomb would explode, according to the indictment.

She went to her Bank of America Corp. branch in Huntington Park, got an employee to help her take the money from a vault and left it outside, where the robbers picked it up and fled, authorities said. The money has not been recovered.

According to the indictment, Reyes “Ray” Vega, 34, used two cars registered to his father for the robbery. He and two other men were charged with bank robbery, conspiracy to commit bank robbery, and aiding and abetting each other by force, violence and intimidation.

The woman, identified only as “A.B.,” was not charged. It’s unclear whether she had any knowledge of the plot, and federal officials declined to provide details beyond the indictment, citing an ongoing investigation.

Vega appeared in federal court in Atlanta on Monday and will be returned to Los Angeles.

The two other defendants, Richard Menchaca, 36, and Bryan Perez, 27, pleaded not guilty in federal court in Los Angeles, according to their attorneys. Perez was released on a $40,000 bond with electronic monitoring and travel restrictions, said his attorney, Jerome Haig.

The indictment alleges that Menchaca picked up the cash placed outside the bank’s side door and gave it to Perez, who authorities say met Vega at a motel later that day to split the cash.

If convicted, the men face a maximum of 25 years in prison, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Justin Rhoades.

More people are believed to have knowledge of the robbery and the whereabouts of the stolen cash, Rhoades said.

Bank of America offered a $10,000 reward Monday for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved.

Parent Category: ROOT
Category: News

May 23, 2013

By Martin Griffith

Associated Press

 

Two men have been arrested in the killing of a teenage boy over an iPad in Las Vegas, police said on May 19.

Jacob Dismont, 18, and Michael Solid, 21, were booked last Saturday into the Clark County jail on charges of open murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery.

According to investigators, Marcos Arenas, 15, was walking down a street with the iPad on Thursday when a passenger got out of a vehicle and tried to steal the device from him.

Dismont is accused of trying to wrest the tablet away and dragging Arenas toward the SUV when the youth wouldn't let go of the device. After Dismont re-entered the vehicle and Solid sped away, the teen was dragged until he fell. The vehicle ran over Arenas and he died at a hospital.

“I think both the public and police department share the same sentiment that this was a senseless act of violence,” police spokesman Bill Cassell told The Associated Press.

The suspects succeeded in making off with the device, officers said, but it was not immediately recovered.

Ivan Arenas said he bought the iPad for his son less than two months ago. The family has never had a lot, the father said, and his son valued everything he had.

“For him to lose his life over an iPad, it’s just not fair,” Ivan Arenas told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “Never in my life would I imagine that me buying my kid an iPad for his birthday would end up with him getting run over.”

Similar thefts of iPads, IPhones and other Apple devices have become so widespread nationwide that the crime has earned the nickname, “Apple picking,” Cassell said.

“This is a nationwide phenomenon where thieves are targeting individuals who are carrying them,” he said.

Police urge victims of such crimes to always let go of the devices.

According to investigators, Solid has an arrest record of possession of a stolen vehicle, petty larceny, robbery and assault. Dismont does not have any prior adult arrests.

Arenas family spokeswoman Tabitha Guertler said family members are relieved by the arrests and grateful for the quick response by police and the public.

“We are very, very relieved and grateful that these men have been apprehended and can’t hurt anyone else,” she said. “We’re traumatized. Marcos’ loss is something that will be with us forever. He was such an incredible person.”

The oldest of 10 children in the family, the teen was a student at Bonanza High School. The attack occurred in the late afternoon about a half-mile from the school.

Parent Category: ROOT
Category: News

May 23, 2013

Associated Press

 

President Barack Obama pledged urgent government help for Oklahoma Tuesday May 21 in the wake of “one of the most destructive” storms in the nation's history.

“In an instant, neighborhoods were destroyed, dozens of people lost their lives, many more were injured,” Obama said from the White House State Dining Room. “Among the victims were young children trying to take shelter in the safest place they knew — their school.”

The president added that the town of Moore, Okla., “needs to get everything it needs right away.”

The White House said it had no announcement yet of a presidential trip to Oklahoma, only that Obama wants to make sure any travel he makes to the disaster area doesn’t interfere with recovery efforts. Presidential spokesman Jay Carney said Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano would travel to the state Wednesday to make sure state officials are getting the federal assistance they need.

Obama spoke on the disaster following a meeting with his disaster response team, including Napoli­tano and top White House officials. On Monday, he spoke with Okla­homa Gov. Mary Fallin and Republican Rep. Tom Cole, whose home is in the heavily damaged town of Moore, a suburb of Oklahoma City.

The president has also declared a major disaster in Oklahoma, ­ordering federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Craig Fugate was due in Oklahoma later Tuesday to ensure that federal resources are being properly deployed.

Carney said FEMA has enough funds at this time to pay for recovery efforts, but did not rule out an additional request for money from Congress in the future.

The state medical examiner’s office has revised the death toll from the tornado to 24 people, including seven children. Authorities had said initially that as many as 51 people were dead, including 20 children.

Teams are continuing to search the rubble in Moore, 10 miles south of Oklahoma City, after the Monday afternoon’s more than half-mile-wide twister.

The Senate, meanwhile, held a moment of silence Tuesday for the victims of the tornadoes.

Parent Category: ROOT
Category: News

News

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and South LA community leaders endorses Jim McDonnell for L.A. County Sheriff

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and South LA community leaders endorses Jim McDonnell for L.A. County Sheriff

July 17, 2014   Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas (District 2) announced his support for Chief Jim McDonnell for LA County Sheriff.   “Chief...

Read More...

Community

LAPD Chief Beck urges more negotiations in stalemate

LAPD Chief Beck urges more negotiations in stalemate

July 17, 2014   LAWT Wire Services   Police Chief Charlie Beck attempted to placate rank-and-file officers who last week voted to reject a proposed...

Read More...

Sports News

Concussions a greater problem for Black youth

Concussions a greater problem for Black youth

July 10, 2014   By Jazelle Hunt Washington Correspondent   Despite the flurry of news about NFL lawsuits over concussions, the problem affects far...

Read More...

Arts & Culture

Tower of Power will be performing at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Irvine on August 2nd

Tower of Power will be performing at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Irvine on August 2nd

July 17, 2014   LAWT NEWS SERVICE     Tower’s musical odyssey actually began in 1968 when Emilio Castillo met Stephen “Doc” Kupka in July...

Read More...

Market Update

1 DOW 17,086.63
-26.91 (-0.16%)    
2 S&P 1,987.01
+3.48 (0.18%)    
3 NASDAQ 4,473.70
+17.68 (0.40%)